CSLS VISITING SCHOLAR APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS (IN ADDITION TO CAMPUS AND FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS)
1. Applicants normally must possess a Ph.D. or J.D. (or foreign equivalent).
2. Applicants must submit a full curriculum vitae.
3. Applicants must submit a letter describing their proposed program of research or study, specifying the time period they wish to be in residence at the Center. Applicants must pursue a program of research or study which is of mutual interest to faculty members at the Center for the Study of Law and Society. The applicant should explain how the proposed program of research or study addresses one or more of the three themes that are the focus of CSLS scholarship: (1) criminal justice, (2) inequality, (3) democracy and civil society.
4. International applicants must indicate their source of funding while visiting Berkeley, e.g. sabbatical pay, scholarship, government funding, personal funds, etc. Unfortunately, the Center cannot offer stipends or other financial assistance. Monthly minimum requirements for foreign exchange scholars are: $1800 per month for the J-1 scholar, $500 per month for the J-2 spouse, $300 per month for each J-2 child. More information can be found here.
5. Applicants must be proficient in English in order to benefit from CSLS programs. UC Berkeley requires all international scholars to provide documentation of English language proficiency. This can be shown through the following ways:
• A recognized English language test (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc)
• Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school
• A documented interview conducted either in-person or by video-conferencing, or by telephone if video-conferencing is not a viable option.
The Center will consider applications for periods of time that vary from one month duration to the full academic year.
CSLS & CAMPUS FEES *
For extended fees list, click here
Foreign Visitors (DS-2019) fee*
There is an assessment of $575 charged for the application processing of a DS-2019 document needed to secure a J-1 visa ($500 to BIO), international mailing and departmental fees ($75).
Payment page, here.
Beginning July 1, 2018 each visiting scholar or visiting student researcher is required to pay an annual University Service Fee of $750 or $1,000, respectively, for the first year of their appointment to the Berkeley Campus to obtain a campus ID card and to have access to the Berkeley Libraries and University facilities. This fee is collected by the Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs office (VSPA) and paid online.
For Visiting Scholars who wish to stay for a second year, the fee will increase to $1,500 beginning July 1, 2018, and for Visiting Student Researchers requesting a 2nd year reappointment period the fee will rise to $2,500.
Beginning August 1, 2019, Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers will be required to pay their University Services Fee up front, in order to receive their appointment letter. Please note that any applications currently in process before August 1 may be completed using the current process of collecting fees upon onboarding.
Since 2011-2012, each visiting scholar has been required to pay $200 per semester or part of a semester, payable after the scholar arrives. The CSLS fee does not apply to visiting student researchers.
Payment page, here.